Listening exercise – job interview. Going for a job interview? Practice your listening skills an prepare better for the interview. Below you will find a video with listening tasks and some useful vocabulary connected with job interviews.
Do you want to practise more? Check here – you will find a listening abiut inventions.
Listening exercise – job interview
Listen to an expert giving tips on how to perform better during a job interview.
Exercise 1. Listen for the first time and decide if they talk about the topics listed below. Tick the sentences that are mentioned. You will find the answers below.
- talking on the phone
- making a good first impression
- clothes you should wear
- preparing a short speech
- talking badly about your last boss
- being honest
Exercise 2. Listen for the second time and answer the questions below.
- How long does it take for a manager to get a first impression of the candidate?
- How can you make a good first impression?
- What kind of clothes should you wear during a job interview?
- What should you practice?
- What should you do if you’ve just been fired?
- What should you say if they ask you about why you left your previous job?
- What skills should you show during the interview?
Vocabulary from the listening:
make a first impression – impress somebody
appearance – your looks
appropriate outfit – right clothes
firm handshake – ‘hard’ handshake
look directly in the eyes -look straight into the eyes
not too flashy – not exaggerated, not attracting too much attention
quick sales speech about oneself – presentation about oneself
previous job – last job
down-to-earth – practical
be fired – lose a job
a lot of resentment – feelings of bitterness
hold a grudge – thave feelings of bitternes / resentment towards a person
look for next opportunity – look for a new chance / challenge
team player – someone who likes to work in a group / team
leadership skills – the knowledge /skills connected with leading a team/ group of people
- 10 minutes
- look directly in the eyes, have a firm handshake
- a nice suit, professional outfit
- a quick sales speech about yourself
- you have to be honest and you should stay postive, don’t show resentment/grudge
- you are lookig for a next step, next oppotunity
- being team player, having leadership skills